The Tool & Die Maker will build and/or maintain dies, tools and fixtures.
• Studies specifications such as blueprints, sketches, models, or descriptions and visualizes product to determine materials required and machines to be used to fabricate parts.
• Helps plan layouts and determines assembly method and sequence of operations.
• Measures, marks, and scribes metal stock for machining.
• Sets up and operates machine tools such as lathes, milling machine, drill press, grinder, and other related tool room equipment to machine parts and verifies conformance of machined parts to specifications.
• Verifies dimensions, alignments and clearance.
• May be asked to organize a project.
• Other duties may be assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
• A one year certificate from college or technical school in Tool & Die or related technical field or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, blueprints, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
• Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra, geometry and trigonometry.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.