Last Updated on March 15, 2018 by cassnetwork
Yesterday, Commissioner Rick J. Ruble presented the Governor’s Workplace Safety Award to 11 Hoosier companies in recognition of exemplary efforts to protect workers from occupational safety and health hazards. Additionally, six individuals received special recognition with the Everyday Safety Hero Award.
Held at the Indiana Convention Center, the Governor’s Workplace Safety Awards Luncheon was part of the 2018 Indiana Safety and Health Conference. The annual event is hosted by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce and Central Indiana Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers in partnership with the Indiana Department of Labor.
“We are honored to recognize some of the most dedicated workplace safety and health leaders in the state of Indiana,” said Ruble. “These companies and ‘safety heroes’ play a significant part in the greater cause of occupational safety and health for all working Hoosiers. We are so thankful for their commitment to protecting workers.”
Indiana companies were recognized in the following categories: Education and Outreach, Innovations, Partnerships, and Rising Star. The 2018 Governor’s Workplace Safety Award recipients are:
- AAA Roofing Company, Inc. – Innovations for Construction (Small-sized company)
- Gribbins Insulation – Innovations for Construction (Medium-sized company)
- Gaylor Electric, Inc. – Innovations for Construction (Large-sized company)
- Whitesville Mill Service – Innovations for General Industry (Small-sized company)
- Cerro Wire, LLC – Innovations for General Industry (Medium-sized company)
- National Office Furniture – Innovations for General Industry (Large-sized company)
- Steinberger Construction, Inc. – Education and Outreach (Internal)
- Shiel Sexton Company, Inc. – Education and Outreach (External)
- Sustainable Sourcing, LLC – Partnerships
- West Central Conservancy District – Rising Star for General Industry
- Weddle Bros. Construction Companies – Rising Star for Construction
“A company’s workforce is its most important asset and protecting those employees is of the utmost importance for companies all over the state. We are pleased to recognize the hard work and dedication to safety that the 2018 award winners have shown to their workforce,” says Indiana Chamber President and CEO Kevin Brinegar. “When health and safety are prioritized, workplaces are more productive and more profitable for everyone.”
The Everyday Safety Hero Award recognized those Hoosiers who have championed workplace safety and health excellence in their respective workplaces. Individuals, who may not be safety and health professionals, were nominated by their peers or organizations. Winners were selected based on a narrative provided by their respective nominators.
Winners of the Everyday Safety Hero Award are:
- Rich Cox, operations manager at Whitesville Mill Service, of Crawfordsville, Indiana
- Alma Cornejo, team leader at MacLellan Integrated Services at Subaru Lafayette, of Lafayette, Indiana
- James Carey, team leader at MacLellan Integrated Services at SRG Evansville, of Evansville, Indiana
- Manny Myers, sanitation supervisor at Red Gold, Inc. – Elwood Facility, of Elwood, Indiana
- David Ranney, glass handler at Cardinal IG, of Fremont, Indiana
- Lyle Williams, shop supervisor at Phoenix Fabricators and Erectors, LLC., of Avon, Indiana
The annual Governor’s Workplace Safety Awards are a result of a partnership among government, business, and safety leaders including the Indiana Department of Labor on behalf of Gov. Eric J. Holcomb, the Indiana Chamber of Commerce, and the Central Indiana Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers.
To learn more about the Governor’s Workplace Safety Awards program, please visit www.in.gov/dol/2381.htm. For more information about the Indiana Safety and Health Conference, please visit www.insafetyconf.com
SOURCE: News release from Indiana Department of Labor