Last Updated on January 14, 2016 by cassnetwork
A vacancy on the Logansport Community School Corporation Board of Trustees has occurred with the resignation of board member Jeff Smith. The board is required to fill the vacancy within 30 days.
Mr. Smith submitted his resignation to the Cass County Clerk’s Office. With his resignation, District 3 now opens up on the five-member board. (District 3 includes any person residing within Logansport city limits.) The person who eventually fills the vacated school board seat representing District 3 will serve the remainder of Smith’s term, which expires Dec. 31, 2018.
Those who are interested in being considered for appointment to the school board for the remainder of Smith’s term must meet certain qualifications:
- Must have a high school diploma or a certificate of high school equivalency, and must be at least 21 years of age
- Must be qualified to vote in any school district election and be registered with the county election board within the school district. Must be a resident of, and a registered voter in, the school district and the election district, for at least one year immediately prior to being appointed
- A person is disqualified from assuming or being a school board candidate if, among other things, the person has been convicted of a felony that has not been pardoned, reversed, vacated, set aside or not entered because the trial court did not accept the person’s guilty plea
- May not hold more than one lucrative office at a time, as provided in Article 2, Section 9 of the Constitution of the State of Indiana
- No person can be a candidate for or serve as a board member if the person is currently employed by the Logansport Community School Corporation.
Those interested in filling the vacated seat can send a letter of interest – as well as a resume – to President, Board of School Trustees, Logansport Community School Corporation, 2829 George Street, Logansport, IN 46947.
The deadline for the letter of interest, as well as the resume, is 4 p.m. on Friday, January 22, 2016.
EDITOR’S NOTE: Jeff Smith resigned his position effective January 11:
It is with great regret that I have submitted my letter of resignation from the board of trustees of the Logansport Community School Corporation. It has recently come to light that my full-time job as highway superintendent could present concerns relating to the dual office-holding provision of the state constitution. After research and guidance by board attorney Brad Rozzi, I have concluded that the appropriate course of action is to resign from the board, effective Monday 1/11.
It’s been a great honor to serve on the board for the past 5 and a half years, and I appreciate the voters having confidence in my ability to represent the interest of our students and patrons of the school corporation. I’m proud to have been affiliated with the quality individuals who make up the Logansport School Corporation, from fellow board members to administrators and teachers to support staff. They have the best interest of students at the top of their agenda, and it shows. I’m very confident in the current direction of our school corporation, and could never adequately express the appreciation I have for the hard work the employees of LCSC do on a daily basis to give our students the best education possible.