SOURCE: News release from Cass County Health Department and Logansport Memorial Hospital
The Cass County Health Department (CCHD) continues to monitor the pandemic of COVID-19 closely. At this time, no confirmed cases of COVID-19 have been reported in Cass County. The CCHD has reported that approximately 155 COVID-19 tests have been given to date in Cass County. The CCHD will work together with Logansport Memorial Hospital (LMH) to notify the public when there has been a confirmed case in Cass County.
When a confirmed case is reported, the CCHD recommends that people remain calm, continue following the preventive actions listed below from the CDC, and abide by the travel advisory and closures enacted by state and local government officials. The closures and policies for social distancing put in place are intended to help slow the spread of COVID-19, before any positive cases are confirmed and as additional positive cases are confirmed.
Testing is being performed on a daily basis by Logansport Memorial Hospital and being sent to a private lab. COVID-19 tests being sent through private laboratories are not included in the number of tests reflected on the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) website. Only tests performed by ISDH are included on their website. However, the ISDH website does reflect the total of confirmed cases in the state.
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19 please remember and practice these preventive actions that have been shared repeatedly:
- Practice “social distancing,” maintaining a distance of 6 feet when around others.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue. Throw the tissue away,and wash your hands.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.Stay home when you are sick except to get medical care.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If you cannot use soap and water, please use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
If you become sick with COVID 19 or suspect you are infected with the virus, please follow the CDC guidelines listed below:
- Stay home except to get medical care. If you need to seek medical care, please call in before you come in.
- Call your primary care provider and describe your symptoms. If you do not have a primary care provider, please call Express Medical Center at (574) 722-9633 and describe your symptoms.
- Separate yourself from others in your home –this is known as home isolation.
- Wear a facemask if you are sick and around others, if one is available or offered to you.
- Cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue. Throw the tissue away, and wash your hands.
- Clean hands often, either with soap and water or hand sanitizer if soap and water is not available.
- Avoid sharing personal items.
- Clean all ”high-touch” surfaces everyday.
- Monitor your symptoms and know when to seek medical care.
LMH and the CCHD advise you to seek medical care by calling your primary care provider immediately if you experience any of the symptoms described below:
- If you can’t catch your breath, or feel like your difficulty breathing is getting worse
- If your new cough makes it hard for you to breathe
- If your fever continues to rise, even with the use of fever-reducing medication and cool rags
Please always remember that if you need immediate, life-saving care or are experiencing a true medical emergency, call 911 and describe your symptoms. As always, the changing information on COVID-19 is best referenced from the CDC at their website: www.cdc.gov/COVID19.