Last Updated on October 30, 2020 by Logansport Fire Department

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that is produced from the incomplete combustion of gas-fueled appliances and vehicles. Any appliance in your home that is fueled by gas, either natural gas or propane, is capable of producing carbon monoxide. Running vehicles also produce carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide prevents the body’s cells from transporting oxygen. Some of the symptoms of CO poisoning are as follows:

  • Headache
  • Fatigue
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Confusion

If you experience these symptoms and you feel better when you are away from the home, there is a possibility you have been exposed to carbon monoxide.

The Logansport Fire Department recommends you have at least one working carbon monoxide detector in your home. You can purchase a detector anywhere you buy smoke alarms.

Have your furnace inspected by a qualified technician prior to the heating season starting.

Keep all chimneys and exhaust pipes clean and free from debris.

If you feel you have a problem, you can contact the Logansport Fire Department (574-753-3102) and we will come check the home for carbon monoxide for you.