Last Updated on January 22, 2021 by United Way of Cass County
SOURCE: News release from United Way of Cass County
United Way of Cass County announces the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program. VITA is to benefit those from low-income households, disabled, elderly and Veterans. Free tax preparation services are not available if, in 2020 you owned/sold rental property, owned/sold a business or bought/sold stocks, bonds, or mutual funds.
This program, in partnership with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), is for households earning $60,000 or less. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation to qualified households in Cass County.
The United Way intake site will be operating by appointment ONLY on Tuesdays and Thursdays during scheduled times. Masks must be worn correctly at all times. Appointments will start February 2nd and continue through April 1.
Taxpayers can begin scheduling appointments on January 28th by contacting Karli Armstrong at 574-753-3533.
If a household earns $66,000 or less, you can prepare your own taxes for FREE online at myfreetaxes.com.
Required documents for intake:
• Valid photo ID
• Social Security cards or ITIN cards for ALL persons on the return
• W2 forms for all employment during 2020
• Interest and dividend statements (if applicable)
• All 1099 forms received, including 1099 SSA from the Social Security Administration and unemployment
• Education expense receipts and Form 1098T
• Childcare receipts, along with provider’s address and Social Security number/employer identification number
• Real estate property tax receipts
• Landlord name and address
• Bank routing number and account number for direct deposit
• Copy of last year’s tax return (not required but helpful to have)