Last Updated on October 15, 2023 by Logansport Fire Department
October is Fire Prevention month and the Logansport Fire Department would like to remind residents to check the batteries in their smoke detectors. Smoke detectors should be located on every level of the home and outside of sleeping areas. Today’s fires are burning hotter and faster than ever, and smoke detectors give you much more time to exit the home safely. If you can not afford a smoke detector, they are available at Central Fire Station for no cost. Central Fire Station is located at 630 High Street in Logansport.
As equally important as smoke detectors are Carbon Monoxide (CO) detectors. CO is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas resulting from improper combustion of gas appliances. Running vehicles and portable generators also produce CO. Some symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, fatigue, nausea, dizziness, and confusion. If these symptoms improve when you are away from the home, there is a chance you have been exposed to CO. CO detectors can be purchased where smoke detectors are purchased. We do not have any CO detectors at Central Fire.
SOURCE: News release from Logansport Fire Department